Monday 20 May 2013

Food revolution at the Star Bistro

I must just write and tell you about the fantastic evening I had on Friday at the Star Bistro, Ullenwood Cheltenham for Food Revolution Day.

The Star Bistro is a joint venture between The Wiggly Worm charity and National Star Foundation enabling young people with disabilities to gain real life work experience. It's a really fantastic set up!

The Bistro and team recently won the hearts of the nation where they were finalists in the 'Food Glorious Food' TV show competition with their Pimms Summer Fruit Jelly!



Yes, you guessed it, I chose the Pimms Summer Fruit Jelly for  dessert and - WOW - it tasted better than I could have imagined. It sure deserved to win. It was so tasty, I think I polished it off in record time.

My friends had the pannacotta with poached local rhubarb, which looked equally deliciousramous!!  I think you'll agree!
Sorry I didn't take any pictures of the starter and main course (doh!), but when food that good comes to your table, you don't really want to do anything but tuck in!

I will just tell you that the Goat Cheese Souffle with local Asparagus from Primrose Vale Farm, and the Bibury Trout were nothing short of amazing.  I must also thank the Chef and his team for being so accommodating - I know I'm a bit of a nightmare to cook for because I'm not only a Gluten Free eater, but I have a nut allergy too. (Yep, don't ever invite me for dinner!)  But the team were totally awesome.  Of course the menu was such that I didn't have to worry about the Gluten Free aspect as all dishes were, but as the main course came with a Waldorf Salad, the team prepared mine separately and removed all nuts for my dish.  It made me feel so much more relaxed and accepted, which I sometimes don't feel in restaurants.  So big thank you team!

The evening was hosted by our local Food Revolution Representative Laura Milne (founder of Your Final Fitness Formula), who introduced and bought the night to fruition. Thank you Laura!

Our very much loved and talented Cotswold Chef, Rob Reese MBE (who is instrumental at the Star Bistro and Director of Wiggly Worm Charity) made a guest appearance and demonstration preparing dishes using local produce.  Rob is a great entertainer, who gets the audience involved and makes cooking look so easy and so much fun while giving us lots of tips and tricks to prepare great food for our families!



Thank you not only to The Star Bistro's super-star talented team, headed up by super-chef Matt, but also to the volunteers who helped at the evening from
The Wiggly Worm charity.

We sure did have a great Food Revolution day, celebrating the beautiful diversity of fresh food, sharing cooking skills, while meeting old and new friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment