Monday 15 April 2013

Fig and Goat's Cheese Salad

I can't believe I've not discovered the awesomeness of figs before.  Where have I been?  Mars?   Sure, I've tried figs before, but they've just passed me by -  until now!

Some foods are just goddam perfik together.  Take figs and goat cheese;  Win.  Then put figs, goat cheese and a sweet vinaigrette (if you don't have pomegranate, you can just use good old balsamic vinegar)  and it's a win win WIN.

SO sweet, SO creamy, SO lovely.  And SO simple.  Lick your lips, this is a summer salad winner.  Did I mention this is also gluten free?  Yes, yes it is!  (I am a little excited, can you tell?)

Ingredients

2 tablespoons pomegranate molasses / vinaigrette or balsamic vinegar
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
A good handful and a half of rocket mixed leaves (with some spinach)
4 figs, cut into halves or quarters
3 oz fresh goat cheese, cut into chunks or goat cheese curds

Place pomegranate molasses (or balsamic vinegar) or vinagrette with the oil and a little salt and pepper in a bowl. Whisk loads.

Toss the rocket and salad leaves with dressing. Pile on a plate and top with figs and cheese (crumble it over and try not to eat some while you're doing it... I did... well a lot...it was yummy:)

Drizzle with a bit of extra olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Scatter pomegranate seeds on top if you're feeling ultra fancy and you have some, I didn't, and I wasn't feeling fancy.

So this salad is really going to be my springtime go-to salad.  I can't believe I've not got into figs before!

Did you know I went out without my coat on today?  Yes, it's crazy.  A few more degrees and maybe I'll take my shoes and socks off too.

Here's a few notes from my weekend.
1.  Bowls.  More bowls I saw in John Lewis (I'm getting a bit of a bowl addiction!).  I'm imagining eating some of Winstone's Ice Cream from these lovely ones.  I hear they've got a new coconut flavour and I am just desperate to try some, in the sunshine, with my shoes and socks off!

2. This is a new coffee shop in Cirencester - Coffee #1.  It reminds me of what Starbucks used to be like - more Central Perk from F.r.i.e.n.d.s TV fame... very cosy, retro and did a nice selection of blended fresh juices.

3. Diamond Cucumber.  Just because.  Regular sliced cucumber is so boring, so I jazzed it up a bit.  It was a delicious organic cucumber too... and SO sweet and juicy.  You see, I AM getting into these springtime salad days!!

I hope you all had a great weekend too.  Chat or tweet me @dishesundressed or pop by my Facebook Page where I share even more foodie fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment