Saturday 23 March 2013

Snap, Crackle, POP!

Here's a really quick and easy sweet treat for an Easter alternative to Chocolate!

You can also make this completely gluten free if you substitute the rice krispies for Gluten Free rice pops.  The Doves Organic brand do a great box of gluten free rice pops (you can get these from Wholefoods Market).

Rice Krispie Cookie Hearts

Ingredients....

5 cups of rice krispies - I used Sainsburys (use gluten free rice pops if required) .... a whole £1 cheaper than Kelloggs (sorry Kelloggs)
60g butter
350g marshmallows (I used multi-coloured and turned my marshmallow goop pink...!)
A bag of Vanilla Wilton Candy Melts (I bought mine from Hobbycraft).

Method

First melt the butter over a saucepan of water (double broiler method).
Then, when that's melted, add the marshmallows and melt those too.

Now this is the good bit - watching marshmallows melt and stirring the goop is very satisfying.  I will challenge you not to dip you finger in this!

Then take off the heat when it's melted and cool for about 2 minutes.  Then add the rice krispies.  Yes they will 'Snap, Crackle... and Pop!'

When combined pour out into a baking try and spread into a big giant rectangle shape.  Here's how one American Mum did it.... HERE (Which is where I got this idea from!) .  I forgot to take a photo of this bit because it all got a bit sticky from here on it - marshmallows that are melted are Uber sticky.  Just warning you!

Leave to re-harden in the open air for a good hour.

Use a cookie cutter (I used a heart-shaped one!) to cut out shapes.  Lay on a piece of parchment paper.

Melt the Candy Melts in the microwave for 30 second blasts until melted.

Spoon over Rice Krispie 'cookies'.  Decorate with sprinkles or chocolate letters like I did (I had some left over from a cake I made and fortunately could spell out 'Cool' and 'Hey U' with the letters I had left...hehe).



Marshmallow 'Pops'

Reserve a few Marshmallows and pop onto a lolly stick.
Dip into the candy melts and then into coloured sprinkles - A very quick and easy and pretty pop-idea that is gluten free too!!

Two great ideas for gluten and wheat free diets and those who want to avoid chocolate this Easter.... but still enjoy something sweet!!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment