Monday 19 March 2012

Carrot Cake for one hot bunny

Remember Bugs Bunny?  Wasn't he just awesome? I loved how cool and laid back old Bugs was.  He'd always have something dry and wise to say while munching on a carrot stick.  I'm sure that's why he was so slender.



I wonder where he is now?  Maybe he's got his feet up in an old people's home somewhere, playing chess with Fred and Wilma Flintstone.

So this week, you will probably not be surprised that there's a bit of a cartoon character theme to my posts. Yes ladies and gents, I have not gone loonie (you see what I did there?  Loonie Toons?)  I just think it would be cool to dedicate the posts this week to my favourite cartoon characters, that's all.

Bugs's Carrot Cake 

It's Dairy FREE too!

175g Plain Flour
2 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
tiny pinch Ground Cloves (when I say a tiny pinch I mean less than a teaspoon, ok?)
tiny pinch Ground Nutmeg
200g Soft Light Brown Sugar (sometimes called Light Muscavado)
150ml Sunflower Oil
2 Large Eggs (room temp)
175g graded carrot (I used organic, because they're sweeter)

1. First of all pre heat your oven to 180 degrees.

2. Grate some carrots.  175g should do nicely.  But while you're there grating away, grate some more and save them for a healthy salad to eat later.  That's what I did.

3. Sift the flour and baking powder together.

4. In a large bowl, mix together the sugar and Sunflower oil.  Then add the eggs one at a time mixing gently until combined.

5. Then add the carrot and spices.  Smells like a spice factory, no?  Mmmm

6. Then gently fold in the flour and mix into the gooey mixture that's created.

7. Pour into a cake tin and bake in the centre of your hot oven for around 45 minute (depending upon the side of the cake tin)  or until a toothpick comes out clean.

For the OMG Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting...... Oh. my. gosh.


100g unsalted butter
200g cream cheese
125g icing sugar
teaspoon lemon zest

Make sure your butter and cream cheese are room temp.

1. Mix together (with the whisk attachment of your mixer) the butter and cream cheese.  Then add in two parts the icing sugar.  Dumping too much icing sugar into the bowl at one time will cause an icing sugar explosion.

2. Add in a teaspoon of lemon zest and mix in.

3. Pour over the top of the cake.

Slice yourself a big slice and watch your worries melt away into the cream cheese frosting.  Cheaper than therapy.



What's up Doc? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment