Wednesday 22 February 2012

Bircher Muesli































There's nothing like a big breakfast and a good magazine to get your inner fire burning in the morning.  *Rocky Balboa theme tune*  I really needed a bit of OOMPh this morning because I wanted to curl back under my duvet and wake up in Spring (a lot of grey cloud cover today in the Cotswolds *sad face*).

So, this morning's breakfast choice was Bircher Muesli (because I had a Granny Smith Apple and some left over Blueberry syrup from yesterday's pancake feast) and I hate to see good food go to waste.

You're probably wondering where the Bircher Museli 'thing' originated from.  Well, it's a popular breakfast of uncooked oats, nuts and fruits (omit nuts if you're allergic to them like moi)  and was developed by some clever Swiss physician for his patients in his hospital.  So there you have it - it must be super healthy and fab.

It's also very popular in Australia, where I lived and worked until recently.  What more can be said; it's healthy, delicious, satisfying and very addictive - and as it's all natural, nutritious filled stuff, it's also figure friendly! *clap hands*.

You will need
A pack of Waitrose Muesli Mix (they do a nut free one which is awesome for nut allergy freaks like me!  Thank you Waitrose!)
1 cup of Orange Juice
1 Granny Smith Apple
a sprinkle of lemon zest
Leftover Blueberry Syrup, (for the recipe look here)
1 1/2 cups of Greek Yoghurt (or normal yoghurt, your choice, you could even opt for a vanilla yoghurt ...yum!)
A drizzle of honey (optional)
  1. Mix the dry muesli with the orange juice and 1 cup of the yoghurt (you can leave it in the fridge over night to absorb and get all gooey which I love to do but if you're short on time you can leave it for 10 minutes while you make a coffee and grate the apple).
  2. Then grate the apple on your cheese grater (cheese graters: not just for cheese my friends!).
  3. Sprinkle the apple on top of the muesli mix.
  4. Dollop the rest of the yoghurt on top.
  5. Dollop the blueberry mix on top of that.
  6. ...and if you're really feeling fancy, grate some lemon zest over the blueberries and drizzle with honey.
I really like the word 'dollop' today.  Can you tell?

I dare you to go to a meeting at your workplace and use 'Dollop' somewhere.  Tweet me if you do!!

Enjoy your brekkie reading your favourite magazine.  I'm in love with Company at the moment, they're new style is fab!

No comments:

Post a Comment